Prenatal Yoga is a safe and a natural method of preparing the pregnant woman for motherhood and the baby for childbirth. There are numerous benefits of practicing yoga during pregnancy. Because of these many expectant mothers are taking up yoga to make the pregnancy period and child birth less strenuous for them. In short, Yoga is a blessing for avoiding complications during pregnancy. This yoga postures and breathing techniques is best learned from an expert. However, if that is not possible one may also buy a good Prenatal Yoga DVD from an Expert which has demonstrations and precautions of what to do and not to do during the first, second and third trimester. It is also advisable to take the advice of a doctor before starting yogic practices. There are several things to be kept in mind while practicing Prenatal Yoga. Given below are some of them.
- Avoid Breath retention during the pregnancy tenure. Pregnant women must not perform too many physical or respiratory exercises in succession.
- Learn and practice Breathing Exercises only under the guidance of an expert to avoid mistakes.
- During the first trimester go only for gentle postures like relaxing stretches and avoid poses which can cause problem to the abdomen area like double leg lifts.
- Avoid extreme stretches in the second trimester.
- Back and forward bends can create problems after 6 months. So avoid them form Sixth month onwards. Also if you have complications in pregnancy avoid doing squats from the sixth month onwards.
- Avoid lying on the back from the second trimester.
- Do not over exert yourself by doing a lot of exercises. Make sure you relax after each asana.
- Avoid doing Bikram or Hot Yoga during pregnancy period.