Sore throat refers to the inflammation of the pharynx (back of the throat). It is a common health condition which can be caused by Common cold, Influenza, Sinusitis, Measles or Diphtheria to mention a few. Some of the major sore throat symptoms include irritation of throat, cold or fever, painful throat and difficulty in swallowing. Sore throats may last from a few days to a few weeks. However, there are several effective natural home remedies for curing sore throat. Given below are some of them.
- Warm Salt Water gargle is one of the most effective remedies for sore throat.
- Another remedy involves gargling with Aloe Vera juice 2-3 times daily till it is cured.
- Another effective remedy is the fenugreek gargle which is prepared by soaking a handful of fenugreek seeds in one liter of cold water and later simmered in low flame for 30 minutes. Allow this to cool and then strain the seeds and use the water for gargling.
- Gargling with a decoction prepared with henna leaves works well for sore throat too.
- Drinking the water made by boiling basil leaves in water and also using it as a gargle helps to relieve a sore throat.
- Drinking a glass of hot water with half a lemons juice and 1 spoon of honey removes the pain on the throat.
- Chewing a couple of garlic pieces are known to be a very effective sore throat treatment.
- Add one teaspoon powdered cinnamon, a pinch of pepper powder and two teaspoons of honey in a glass of hot water and consume the same.
- Chewing a small piece of liquorice herb helps to soothe the inflammation associated with sore throat.
- Add a handful of sage leaves in half a liter of boiled water. When it becomes cool, add a little vinegar and honey to it and use this mixture as a gargle.
- Add ¼ tsp Cayenne Pepper to 1 cup of Boiled Water, still well and drink it slowly.
- Use Tea Decoction mixed with some salt as gargle.
- Use Tamarind water as a gargle.
As you can see that there are several effective natural home remedies which have no side effects compared to over the counter medication. However, prevention is better than cure. So make sure you keep the immune system healthy by taking proper rest, avoiding stress, exercising and eating healthy. Taking supplements of vitamins (C,E and A) also helps in fighting infection.